Latest Creation @DCbijou

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Product Review: Naturopathica Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel

I have a love/hate relationship with enzyme peels/masks. I love them when they do what they say - exfoliate dead skin via AHAs and BHAs and brighten skin - but I hate them for being rather harsh on my sensitive but oily skin.

Naturopathica's products take out all of the harmful irritants like parabens and sulfates, instead using natural and organic ingredients from fruit and plant extracts. They add antioxidants and peptides to add even more benefits to skin. The founder, Barbara Close, is a clinical esthetician and herbalist, who strived to develop a natural line of skincare products for men and women. Many of the raw materials to make the products come from local farmers, artisans, and herbalists. A number of the products are also labeled as gluten free, vegan, clean cosmeceutical (cosmetic product with biologically active ingredients to have medical benefits), and ecocert, for anyone who has allergies or lives a vegan lifestyle.

The Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel is targeted to help dull or congested skin by using pumpkin enzymes to exfoliate skin and promote a clear complexion.

Price: $56.00 for 1.7 ounces

Availability: online at naturopathica.com and selected locations

Packaging: cobalt glass jar with plastic lid; plastic spatula is included

Ingredients: [from website] Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin), Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin)Wine, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Glycerin, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon) Bark Extract, Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Root Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Oil, Potassium Sorbate

Directions: [from website] Apply a thin layer to clean skin. Leave on for 3-5 minutes. Rinse. Repeat 1-2 times per week. Note - use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing and limit sun exposure while using this product and for one week afterwards.

My Thoughts: Consistency is similar to puree; not runny like a lotion or emulsion, but not thick like a mud mask. It reminds me of pumpkin pie filling, both in appearance and smell. Seriously, if it wasn't in the labeled jar, I would be tempted to taste it! Using the included spatula, I take about 1/4 teaspoon out of the jar and use my fingers to spread it around my face.

After 5 minutes, I rinse the mask off with warm water. I should note that compared to the other pumpkin peel I've tried, I did not feel any stinging or burning sensation while it was on my face. I've used it repeatedly since I first received the product and have not had a negative reaction to it, even when I had it on for more than 5 minutes.

this is a little more than what I would use for an application;
smells just like pumpkin pie

sans makeup

covered in pumpkin goodness, haha
feeling a bit like an oompa loompa, with this much orange on my face

after using the peel, my skin feels super soft and radiant

After rinsing my face, I see immediate results in the mirror - my skin looks brighter and has a little bit of a glow to it.

Pros
+ effective in brightening and exfoliating to achieve smoother, clearer skin
+ smells delicious
+ gentle on normal to oily skin
+ small amount is needed for each application, so the jar will last a while

Cons
- cost may not appeal to frugal shoppers
- smell will be unappealing if you don't like pumpkin/pumpkin pie scented products
- may not react well on very sensitive skin

Overall: I wholeheartedly recommend this product to anyone looking for a mask and/or peel aimed at exfoliating and brightening skin. I received this product prior to my 30 day skincare trial with Naturopathica's Normal to Dry kit, and after using those products, I think the pumpkin enzyme peel is a worthwhile purchase.



Disclaimer: This post contains press samples that were provided by the company for reviewing purposes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions or make requests. I will mostly likely respond to your questions/comments in the same entry, so check back for a response :)

You can also e-mail me at xmayaarix@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails