Latest Creation @DCbijou

Friday, March 28, 2008

Product Review: Union Street Soaps - Part II

You can find my initial review of the Healing Bar, Juicy Pear, and Bay Rum bars here.

I smelled liked a baked goods store today - in a good way. I tried out the Pumpkin Pie soap from Union Street Soaps (and used my Brunette Goddess shampoo & conditioner that smells like cookies) so I definitely smell like pumpkin and vanilla.

(all photos are from the Union Street Soap website)

Pumpkin Pie is another winner in my book - it lathers up great, and smells wonderful (I love scents with cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove). I like the addition of actual cinnamon into the bars, and if I weren't a loofah user, I bet the cinnamon would provide some gentle exfoliation. The scent doesn't linger on my skin quite the way Juicy Pear does, but Pumpkin Pie is one of those seasonal bars, so it's probably more potent in the fall. As much as I love Pumpkin Pie, I personally would save this bar for Fall/Winter use, just because the scent is rather heavy, and with spring approaching I am all about the light, fruity, citrus scents.

Ingredients: Hand crafted with olive, coconut, avocado, palm kernel, and castor oils, shea butter, fragrance, color, cinnamon

Cucumber Melon fits the bill for light, mellow scents. I get more of the sweet melon scent, which is wonderful. Lathering is no problem, and I can see myself purchasing more bars in between all my other favorites.

Ingredients: Hand crafted with olive, coconut, avocado, palm kernel, and castor oils, shea butter, aloe vera, fragrance, color







I bought Orange Peel for my BF, so he's been using it more than I have. Again, no complaints about the lather - even when you cut the bars into thirds (lately we've been cutting them in half, since they're easier to grip and last longer in the shower vs. the narrower thirds) you get a lot of sudsing action. My BF said his initial reaction to using Orange Peel made him feel like he was a kid again, because it smells exactly like Orange Crush soda.

Ingredients: Hand crafted with olive, coconut, avocado, palm kernel, and castor oils, shea butter, aloe vera, orange and patchouli essential oils, color




Cider Mill was another purchase for the BF - he likes the more robust scents, being a stinky guy and all, haha. It's a nice, deep red bar, and if you just sniff it, it smells like Fall in an apple orchard. It's a warm, spicy scent. The only bad thing that I can think of is that the red coloring has a tendency to temporarily stain washcloths, but a trip through the washing machine fixes that without any effort.

Ingredients: Hand crafted with olive, coconut, avocado, palm kernel, and castor oils, shea butter, fragrance, color, cinnamon

So far, between my BF and I we've tried the Healing Bar, Bay Rum, Orange Peel, Juicy Pear, Cucumber Melon, Cider Mill, and Pumpkin Pie. My Healing Bar is STILL going strong, nearly 4 months after my initial purchase! Granted, I only use it on my face, but I am impressed. Next on my list? Pink Grapefruit, Mint Melange, Oatmeal Milk & Honey, and Beer soap. I have a feeling I'm going to end up trying every single bar of soap, except for the Lavender bar - I am atypically feminine and have no real attraction to lavender scented anything :)

I'm lucky that Nate (the owner) sells the soap locally at Farmer's Markets, so I just have to make an extra stop on the way home. For anyone interested, they are available online, and you can use Paypal to process your transaction.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh soapies!! xD I love handmade natural soaps! But they're pretty expensive here and I only know of one place to get them and they don't have a very wide selection =(

    LOOOOVE your eyeshadow haul!! O.o I wanna buyyy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soaps! They are so much fun to use in the shower, but most of them dry out my skin. These look really good and moisturizing though, I'm tempted to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great,
    I was looking for a great smelling soap, and these look fantastic.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww... Orange Crush shower!! lol. That's what I'd imagine the orange peel soap to smell like. I like the description of the melon one. It certainly helps to see a watermelon in the pic. Mmmm, delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask questions or make requests. I will mostly likely respond to your questions/comments in the same entry, so check back for a response :)

You can also e-mail me at xmayaarix@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails